Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Stomach Woes

I had almost dared hope that we had made it. The winter months had gone by and no one in our family had gotten more than a sniffle. It was almost the end of March...surely I could take a breath and relax. My kids weren't going to get sick.

And then unexpectedly on Good Friday Grace woke up vomiting. I did not expect my first parental experience with the stomach flu to be with my one year old! It was actually fairly mild...involving two hours of us sitting in the rocking chair holding her over a bucket rather than allowing her to go back to bed where we'd be returning every ten minutes to change sheets...finally after a couple hours she just started to scream and made it quite obvious that she was ready to go back to bed. And she made it through the rest of the night without much activity.

Saturday came and went and no one was sick, so we dared to believe we had dodged the bullet. And then came Easter Sunday...and not one of us came out unscathed. Unfortunately, since we thought we'd gotten by without catching it, we decided to visit my parents for Easter. So we spread the love...and the germs.

So here we are a week later and I think we're finally over it...it seemed to mysteriously linger in Hannah and show up randomly throughout the rest of the week. But even that has settled now, so fingers crossed...we're over it.

I have to say I'm disappointed. I was anticipating Easter this year. I really wanted to really take time to reflect on Jesus' sacrifice. And it was a little difficult to do with the circumstances going on. I guess I don't need Easter to reflect on that, but it is somehow easier to do on that day.

To make matters worse, during the week that followed it was incredibly hard to get back into doing my Bible study, and just returning to the habits that I had formed. I hope I can get back into the groove this week...

The only bummer about being better is that now I have no excuse for the mess my house is in. I've finally (mostly) caught up with laundry, but not the folding...but my floors need mopped and I have no good excuse...oh wait...I think I feel a fever coming on... ;-)

No comments: