Friday, March 14, 2008

Contraband Broccoli

Okay...I've come to the conclusion that there is no rationale where kids are concerned. No, this really isn't a recent discovery, but it was reaffirmed for me today...

While I was making lunch, Hannah got a bag of frozen broccoli off the counter and proceeded to eat out of it like a bag of chips. Grace comes over, thinks that looks like fun, and so they are tug-a-warring over a bag of broccoli.

Humoring them, I give Grace a bowl and Hannah fills it. Grace takes one bite and her eyes get wide and she's like "Bleck! I thought this was going to be good!" BUT, she sees that Hannah is eating it and keeps on munching away anyway. Once she empties her bowl I figure she'll just go on her way, but no...she again goes after the bag. Hannah happily refills Grace's bowl, and so on they go...munching away on frozen broccoli.

I'm certainly not going to stop this activity...normally I do not condone eating before dinner...but yeah, seriously? "No, girls, you cannot eat broccoli! Put it away! You'll spoil your appetite!" THAT would be dumb.

And yet I know that if they were sitting at the table and I plunked frozen broccoli on each of their plates they would turn their noses up and refuse to eat it. There is no logic here.

2 comments:

Carol said...

Kids are so weird. Maybe my kids would be happier about eating veg if I let them chow down from the freezer! At this point I'm willing to try anything!

Science PhD Mom said...

Hey, one of the best strategies I know for getting kids to eat veggies and other things is to let them graze while you make dinner! Heck my garden is a source of constant grazing in the summertime, but put those green beans on a plate and, "I don't want that." Go figure.