Thursday, March 13, 2008

Girls' Night

Tonight I had the treat of getting out of the house minus husband and children! Now normally I am quite a homebody, and even though I enjoy these outings when I get there, I have to talk myself into getting there. I hate sacrificing family time, or even just husband-time to go out and "hang with the girls". It is something I like to do, and even something I recognize as being important to my mental health, but a part of me is always home.

But this week was a long one...I haven't been feeling well all week. I thought for sure I was getting sick, but no...it is just a headache that is hanging on. Everyday at around one I get a headache, it is like clockwork! I've tried different things like drinking more caffeine, completely eliminating caffeine, eating food...nothing really seems to help. Anyway...all of this means that the girls are even more exhausting than usual, my patience runs out quicker, and that goes for patience toward the husband as well. I think it was Monday night when I remembered that this week was my Oasis (Bible Study) dinner and rejoiced!

So it was great to get out and sit down and eat with other adults without worrying about feeding someone else first, cutting up someone else's food, or fussing about whether other people ate. We all sat and enjoyed dinner while secretly chuckling behind our napkins at the thought of what our husband and children were probably eating.

I think what I love most about getting together with other women is discovering how many things are universal. How our kids are doing the same strange/annoying things, how our post-baby bodies are also doing the same strange/annoying things. Lamenting how things have changed since we had children, but rejoicing in the gift our children are. It is great that we can swap stories and advice and uplift each other.

But the absolute BEST part about getting out is coming back home. I loved that Hannah woke up and called for me and then filled me in on all the things that Daddy did (both right and wrong) and caught up on a few snuggles. I love that I have something to say to Eric that is not about the kids and that he, for once, has a few stories to tell me about the cute things the kids did.

It is good to go to bed and for once feel a tad bit energized and not 100% drained. And I miss my kids, so tomorrow should be a good day! :-)

No comments: